Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Webelos Scientist Pin

Scientist Pin for Webelos
What boy doesn't like experimenting, and getting messy. As I researched in the summer and visited with other scout moms. I knew my boys were going to have a good time. From the time school started, these boys had their hands full. From popcorn show-n-sell, show-n-deliver, and Cub Scout round-up. They were getting bored. Let's just say every leader, scout, and parent are relieved when popcorn season is over!
Once my Webelos earned their Fitness and Citizen pin, well I knew the game was on! The first thing I planned for my meeting this past Monday was for the Webelos to earn their Science belt loop. Below I will list the requirements needed for the Academic Science Belt Loop. The first thing I did was explain the Scientific Method. I went online and did some research, to make it simple enough for 9-10 year old boys to understand. Webelos and I had to incorporate the scientific method into the experiments that I knew would be fun for these boys. They had a blast! We got messy, wet, and stinky! But they learned and enjoyed it. I had all the dens included in this project. We had, tigers, bears, Webelos 1&2, and wolves were absent that day. Our experiment was "Can we inflate a balloon using baking soda and vinegar?". The gas project is designed to teach scouts about gas through the chemical reaction of baking soda and vinegar. Here are some pictures from my den meeting this past Monday. Can't wait to see their reaction, for our meeting next month! Happy Holidays, from my family to yours.


Science Belt Loop 
Complete these three requirements:
  1. Explain the scientific method to your adult partner.
  2. Use the scientific method in a simple science project  Explain the results to an adult.
  3. Visit a museum, a laboratory, an observatory, a zoo, an aquarium, or other facility that employs scientists. Talk to a scientist about his or her work.
Website for easy science experiments:


No comments:

Post a Comment